Answering to Teemu and Chris:

I do think that the for Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Art it is safe
to claim that if we organize it the way we would always do, it would still
tip the gender balance in our community a little more to the female side.
However, I disagree that this should be a main consideration, because I
think that would be true for so many outreach projects. Focusing on that
would be a pity and a distraction imho. Also, for most participants we
don't know the gender, and we don't want to know the gender (because asking
for it alone can scare people away) - except for a sample of them, who
happen to answer the survey afterwards. All data on that is quite shaky.

If necessary, I could easily make a case why WLM is a wonderful gendergap
project - the point is that I don't want volunteers to waste their time on
making such cases, but rather let them be innovative, come up with new
ideas instead of rebranding existing ideas on something like the gendergap.
My problems are more fundamental than 'I can't get money for my specific
project'.

So Chris: yes, these people do a lot for reducing the gender gap in our
projects. Also, Wikimedia organizers tend to hop between projects - their
next might be more focused on a topic that is popular with women, if their
current idea isn't yet. Drawing them into a topic in a positive way (what
we do is cool! Join us!) tends to be more successful than telling them they
are not allowed to do other stuff (we won't fund you at all unless you do
this specific theme).

Prioritisation sounds great, but that only works that way if you have one
clearly defined pool of resources, that you can actually control. What do
you think is the major bottle neck in organizing activities in the
Wikimedia movement? In my experience, that is not money, or even WMF staff
capacity (even though it is a limiting factor sometimes), but the primary
bottle neck is volunteer organizers (or editors). And volunteer time is not
a resource you can easily 'control'. If you want to influence it, the most
effective way is by persuading the volunteers why another angle is more
interesting, more fun, more effective.

Best,
Lodewijk