On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Gnangarra <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure we should be making such  a link as the events in Paris are not
> about Islam just as the actions of the women in Kentucky was not a
> reflection of Christianity. Paris is not the only place its unfortunately
> its not even the latest place to fall victim to ISIS.
>
> Wikimedia is a world wide community and the focus on Paris ignores all our
> other communities who have over the last week, months. year or longer have
> been affected by acts of terrorism, I think we should exercise care when we
> adopt activities that elevate events or imply some guilt of association
> immortalizing that as fact in a place like wikipedia

Very much agree broadly with Gnangarra, especially about links with Islam.
The most positive and wiki way to respond is to ensure we're being
neutral, and that the reality of all attacks around the world are
being adequately and accurately recorded in a balanced manner from a
worldwide perspective.

However the attack on Paris is widely viewed as an escalation, not
because a citizen of one country is more valued than another, because
some places are more treasured by larger number of people of the
world, and also we're more shocked as we expect they are better
protected, and that creates an elevation of its own.

I appreciate the Signpost for very tastefully responding, in a measured way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2015-11-11/Gallery

--
John Vandenberg