It's more complex if they've acted illegally, certainly. Under the law
they're citing, it looks like they have. Since community directors are
elected by a "class" (editors meeting the eligibility requirements), the
law states removal would be possible only by that class, one would presume
by referendum in this case.

I think we need to know if the Board considered this requirement.