I don't think it's been mentioned on this list that Jimmy Wales (one
of the board members) commented about this matter today on his En-WP
talkpage.  Since I assume many people on this list don't follow that
page, I have copied his comment below:

"Hi everyone.  I couldn't possibly agree more that this should have
been announced with a full and clear and transparent and NPOV
explanation.  Why didn't that happen?  Because James chose to post
about it before we even concluded the meeting and before we had even
begun to discuss what an announcement should say.  WMF legal has asked
the board to refrain from further comment until they've reviewed what
can be said - this is analogous in some ways to personnel issues.
Ideally, you would have heard about this a couple of days from now
when a mutual statement by James and the board had been agreed. For
now, please be patient.  Accuracy is critically important here, and to
have 9 board members posting their own first impressions would be more
likely to give rise to confusions. -- Jimbo Wales (talk) 09:35, 29
December 2015 (UTC)"

I'm not endorsing Jimbo's comment -- or the reverse -- as I frankly
find this whole situation strange and unfortunate.  However, it seems
relevant and I thought people in this discussion might want to be
aware of it..

I also agree that the information about the two new board members
should be circulated promptly.

Newyorkbrad/IBM