On the very specific topic of donor funding going to help commercial
re-users, we've had some interesting but inconclusive board discussions
about this topic.  Despite that he takes every opportunity to attack me,
and surely it will disappoint him to know, but my general view is 100%
in agreement with him on the core issue - where commercial re-users are
getting enormous value from our work, they should be paying for the
engineering resources required for their support.

Here are two push-backs on the idea that I do think are deserving of
serious consideration:

1. Part of our core mission as a community is free access - will a "pay
for service" model for APIs for commercial re-users alienate a
significant portion of the community?  Does requiring some to pay while
others get it free raise questions similar to those around "net neutrality"?

As a historical footnote, there was a deal many years ago with
Answers.com to give them access to an API which they used to present our
content alongside many other resources.  They paid for that - not a huge
amount, but it was meaningful back in those days.  I don't recall this
being particularly controversial.

2. In many cases it may be too simplistic to simply say "a company is
benefiting, so they should pay".  The point is that *we* also benefit,
from increased readership for example, from our work making it to end
users as technology changes and as the way people get information
changes.  There is certainly a situation where setting too high a price
would simply push commercial re-users to not use our content at all, so
sensible pricing would be key.  And with real serious ongoing analysis,
the right price could still be "free" even if we in principle charge.

----

For me, despite those being real concerns, I come down firmly on the
side of being careful about falling into a trap of doing lots of
expensive work for commercial re-users without having them pay.  I don't
actually think we do a lot of that right now.  What I'd like to see is
more of it, and I'm pretty agnostic about whether that's in the form of
"self-financing cottage industries" or a "separate for-profit arm" or
within the current engineering organization.  I can see arguments for
any of those.