Patricio Lorente wrote:
>Today the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees voted to remove one of
>the Trustees, Dr. James Heilman, from the Board. His term ended effective
>immediately.
>
>This was not a decision the Board took lightly. The Board has a
>responsibility to the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation to
>ensure that the Board functions with mutual confidence to ensure effective
>governance. Following serious consideration, the Board felt this removal
>decision was a necessary step at this time. The resolution will be
>published shortly.
>
> [...]

The minutes from this Board of Trustees meeting have now been posted:

---
December 28, 2015 minutes
WMF Board minutes

* December 28, 2015
* Board of Trustees present: Patricio Lorente (Chair), Alice Wiegand (Vice
  Chair), Dariusz Jemielniak, Denny Vrandečić, Frieda Brioschi, James
  Heilman Jan-Bart de Vreede, Jimmy Wales, Stu West, and Guy Kawasaki
* Others present for part of the meeting: Geoff Brigham (Secretary and
  General Counsel), Stephen LaPorte (Legal Counsel)

Patricio called the meeting to order at 1:30 PM Pacific time on December
28, 2016. Geoff called roll and confirmed that a quorum was present and
able to simultaneously hear the meeting.

Patricio called the meeting for the purpose of discussing a resolution to
remove James from the Board of Trustees. Patricio introduced the
discussion, and asked James to discuss his perspective. At that point in
the meeting, James was excused from the discussion and Board members
discussed their concerns. Patricio invited James back to the meeting.
After a motion by Patricio, seconded by Alice, the Board voted to approve
a resolution to remove James from the Board
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal>,
effective immediately.

The Board discussed the next steps, and the meeting was concluded.
---

From <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:Permalink/105360>.

>This decision creates an open seat for a community-selected Trustee. [...]

Hmmm, I only just now noticed your use of community-selected here. I think
sometime this year, we should hold a community straw poll on Meta-Wiki
about changing the selection to an election. I think the Board of Trustees
needs to hear from the Wikimedia editing community about this issue.

MZMcBride