I don't want affiliates to get a free pass to create problems or neglect
their responsibilities such as by failing to produce reports, misusing
trademarks, misappropriating funds, etc., and I am glad to see that AffCom
is taking action when it thinks that there are problems. However, I am
concerned that AffCom may currently have some internal issues that should
be addressed.

As far as I know, AffCom hasn't shared its explanations for some of these
actions in public, which places limits on the public's ability to evaluate
AffCom's choices, but the actions being described in this thread give me
cause for concern. Included in those concerns is the claim that AffCom made
an illegal request of an affiliate. I would expect AffCom to do legal
research (probably done by WMF Legal on Affcom's behalf) before making
requests. I would also expect that the WMF Board would ensure that AffCom
has access to any support that it needs, such as staff time from WMF Legal.

Regarding whether a public warning letter from Affcom could lead to the end
of an affiliate, I can understand how a warning letter could concern
potential partner organizations, but given our choice of problems I think
that this is the lesser problem. I think that Affcom's actions, good and
bad, should be public in almost every case. If AffCom makes an error in
sending a warning letter, then hopefully the affiliate can explain the
situation to the partner organization. If a partner decides to discontinue
a relationship, that may be regrettable (especially if the warning letter
was erroneous) but hopefully the loss of a partnership would be a temporary
setback from which the affiliate can recover.

I think that expecting perfection from anyone, whether AffCom or an
affiliate, would be expecting too much. Hopefully organizations and people
can be "net positives" and can be engaged in continuous learning and
continuous self-improvement.

One theme that is common to AffCom and affiliate boards is that they are
primarily composed of people who are volunteering their time. My impression
is that this often correlates with a mixed level of quality and dedication
from the participants. Improving the quality of governance in general is an
interest of mine, and I would be interested to hear others' thoughts about
how to do that, keeping in mind that many of these people are generously
volunteering their limited time.

Pine