Gerard, Katherine and Wikimedians,

Am wondering if the Wikimedia Foundation is in Google for NonProfits which
is holding an online training for managing volunteers on September 10th -
https://events.withgoogle.com/google-for-nonprofits-live-stream-series/.

(WUaS is in Google for Nonprofits and is attending this).

Scott
Scott_WUaS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Scott_WorldUnivAndSch

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:48 PM Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Research on the acquisition of new volunteers shows that most new people
> drop out because of perceived hostility. This excercise of formulating a
> strategy for 2030 aims to address this among other objectives. It follows
> that when new volunteers that stick is an important objective, the status
> quo cannot be maintained. When people threaten to leave because the status
> quo, their power base is threatened, they are welcome to take a leave of
> absence and as Jan-Bart said in them days we hope they will reconsider.
>
> Mind you, I am not a fan-boy of the new strategy. I was in Stockholm and I
> made several points where I think the strategy fails.
>
> The problem that I have with "advocates for the community" is that like
> lawyers they do not necessarily self include and certainly take no
> responsiblity. Their point would be more clear when they say "I will leave
> our community because... ". Our community will be better off when some bad
> apples but "pillars of the community" leave. Our community would be better
> off when we argue in stead of state opinions. Let's be on point and to the
> point.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 22:39, Jeff Hawke <geoffey.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gerard
> >
> > A good point.  The "community" in one sense is simply the collection of
> all
> > those people who happen over any given time period to be working for the
> > WMF for free.  In another sense, it is the structures and cultures found
> on
> > the various projects.  I think my question could best have been phrased
> in
> > terms of the first meaning -- that is, does the WMF Board expect that
> after
> > these recommendations are enacted, and, as we may reasonably predict, a
> > large proportion of the current volunteers cease their invlvement, that
> > there will be a sufficient number of continuing and new volunteers to
> > sustain the projects in the way the WMF desires.  It seems odd that the
> > Board would not have even begun to consider this question, but it is of
> > course for them and not for us to decide.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 7:10 PM Gerard Meijssen <
> gerard.meijs...@gmail.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Your notion of community is what I question. It is in your refusal of
> > > accepting that English Wikipedia is not a safe place, in your notion
> that
> > > the WMF failed, you fail to accept that it is the WMF that is the
> arbiter
> > > of last resort. You also fail to appreciate that the Wikimedia
> Foundation
> > > is not a democracy. Only some of the board members are elected by the
> [...]

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch
- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.