> (Just reminding that Nat was not elected by the community, as Gnangarra

seems to think, but by the affiliates.)

Taking responsibility for a gross failure does in fact mean accepting and
acknowledging you failed, and then stating what you intend to do to rectify
that failing.

I know Nat was elected by the Affiliates, her seat is one those that are
there to represent the community.   I also know that Nat insulted an ESEAP
affiliate because she wanted a European affiliate to endorse her
nomination.    I would also point out that Affiliates are there to
represent the communities they serve as well.   While I called for her
resignation I hold no expectation that it will actually take place given
past interactions, in fact there's very few people who have gathered power
within this "movement" that would actually willingly stand aside because of
a principle.

There is a greater problem within the "movement" than just The Board,
changing names isnt going to change those problems.  There are many fine,
extremely well skilled people with lots to offer the movement that
arent from Europe or the US but we have a blind spot to those
communities, its almost as if the movement is acting as 17th century
colonial entity.

Wikimedia is greater than Wikipedia which is just one of our many parts. We
need to embrace all of those parts if we are to grow, instead of clutching
onto one part we need to put effort into making the other parts household
names as well.  Wikipedia will always be just an encyclopaedia, we need to
take on the sum of all our parts because this "movement", this "community"
is greater than just an encyclopaedia if The Board cant see this then we
are in real trouble what ever the name becomes.

In a little bit of irony Asimovs Foundation also floundered because it
became focused on the encyclopaedia and nothing else mattered.

Boodar-wun

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 08:46, Paulo Santos Perneta <paulospern...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (Just reminding that Nat was not elected by the community, as Gnangarra
> seems to think, but by the affiliates.)
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede <jan-b...@wikimedia.nl> escreveu no dia segunda,
> 22/06/2020 à(s) 17:26:
>
> >  Hi Gnangarra
> >
> > I find your request for Nat to resign uncalled for…. and not in the least
> > because of the common misconception you have with regards to the role of
> > Board members of the Wikimedia Foundation.
> >
> > Quoting from the excellent Wikimedia Board Handbook(1)
> >
> > "WMF is an entrusted steward within the Wikimedia movement. The Board's
> > role (and legal obligation) is to oversee the management of the
> > organization and ensure that it fulfills its mission and responsibilities
> > as a steward. To help accomplish this, the Board maintains a strong
> > connection to the Wikimedia communities. For example, WMF's bylaws
> require
> > that a majority of Board seats (not including the Founder's seat and
> > non-member officer positions) be filled by candidates selected by the
> > communities and chapters, and appointed by the incumbent Board members -
> an
> > unusual requirement for a nonprofit board. Board members are often active
> > community members as well. That said, Board members have a fiduciary duty
> > to represent the overall WMF interests during their service on the Board
> –
> > not just the interests of chapters or certain parts of the communities. “
> >
> > So while the community certainly gets to elect board members, these board
> > members have obligations once they are appointed to the board. And yes:
> > that also means getting community input, but all board members should be
> > concerned with that, not just those elected by the community.
> >
> > Jan-Bart
> >
> > > On 22 Jun 2020, at 08:52, Gnangarra <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The choice is yours to resign because the The Board isnt considering
> the
> > > community as a key part of what we have created, or because you
> > > arent representing the community's voice on the Board.
> >

> > 1)
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Handbook#Fiduciary_duties

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2021
August
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra