I guess - Andy's main concern is about permission queues on Commons, as the
trigger for his question was a case on Commons.

In fact - OTRS agents answering questions for general info queues have no
special power - I mean they do not make any "secretive" decisions - they
just inform about rules, customs, help newbies with technical issues and
sometimes try to help or solve the problem to satisfy both - a plaintiff
and the local wiki rules. Basically this was the idea of OTRS when it was
created - so the feeling was that strict rules for just answering the
questions and helping newbies are not very much needed. Add to this that
there is a constant shortage of the active OTRS agents - as this work tends
to be boring, repetitive and not rewarding at all - so you may understand
why entry barrier for agents is kept as low as possible. If you want to be
an OTRS agent - just put your name on OTRS page on meta - ask some of your
friends on your local wiki to endorse you and one of the OTRS admins simply
checks if your edit history is OK (not too short and with no signs that you
have a tendency to be in constant conflict with your fellow Wikipedians)
and that's it... It really does not need any extra  regulations, as it
works as it is now.

However, for permission queues is the other issue - because acceptance or
refusal of copyright agreement/claim is usually final, so it is quite a
power, so I understand Andy's concern that there are no strict rules which
are public. How it is practically screened has been already answered
several times, but it is true that the process is not written down clearly
- it was just developed naturally over time and consist of
a) general copyright rules on Commons - which are already very complex and
unclear - sometimes even contradictory with eachself and also they change
over time, mainly in to direction to be more and more strict which is
sometimes called "copyright paranoia"
b) local copyright laws - which are also very complex and unclear in many
jurisdictions and moreover one needs to know local language and local legal
system to properly understand it and apply
c) some practical customs, habits and technical rules related strictly to
handling agreements via OTRS - the later is partially made public - I have
already sent the links to the relevant pages but it was ignored - and
partially made non-public.

So, maybe - I say maybe - this system needs some sort of reform to make it
more transparent and public - but do not expect that anyone can write rules
that may cover every possible case - as they tend to be sometimes very
complex and individual. And the system will never be 100% transparent - as
its idea is to answers E-mails under general WMF privacy policy umbrella.

pon., 20 lip 2020 o 09:03 effe iets anders <effeietsand...@gmail.com>

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/