From: Nataliia Tymkiv <ntym...@wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2024 6:34 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board resolution and vote on the
proposed Movement Charter

Dear all,

As we await the outcome from all stakeholders who voted on the draft Movement
Charter ratification, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees met on Monday,
July 8, to discuss and cast the Foundation’s vote.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees I am sharing the
results of that vote, the resolution, meeting minutes, and proposed next steps.

==Draft Movement Charter==

The proposed charter represents a tremendous amount of work done by the
Movement Charter Drafting
Committee<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee>,
alongside several others. The creation of a charter was one of several
recommendations to come from the Movement Strategy process alongside the
Strategic Direction that continues to guide the Wikimedia Foundation.

At the same time, the vote on the proposed charter has provided an opportunity
for all of us to reflect on what has changed – and continues to change – since
the original Movement Strategy process started in 2018. The Foundation has
tried to consistently identify these issues in its annual
plan<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2024-2025>,
 strategic planning
priorities<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation/Chief_Executive_Officer/Updates/April_2024_Update>,
 and
elsewhere<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation/Chief_Executive_Officer/Updates/February_2024_Update>.
 They include numerous and growing external threats (and some opportunities) of
a rapidly changing and fragmenting internet – from the nature of search to the
rise of generative AI. We have also seen an increase in global regulations of
content and platforms that have an impact on our people and our projects.
Furthermore, our collective resources have not been growing as
quickly<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2024-2025/Financial_Model>
 as we had seen in prior periods. This has required more clarity on priorities,
trade-offs, and pragmatism.

It is because of these myriad challenges and complex realities that clarifying
roles and responsibilities within the Wikimedia movement is more, not less,
important. That is why the Board and the Foundation have been cautiously
assessing how best to move forward at this point, after providing significant
support to the Movement Charter Drafting Committee in undertaking this task.

Our hope is to take solutions from the intent of the draft charter and consider
where a future Global Council may be able to provide benefits to us all. We
believe that this can only be done through concrete, practical, and time-bound
next steps, based on the areas identified in the final draft charter text,
rather than a wholesale adoption of the proposed charter in its final form.

==Board resolution==

Therefore, in the Special Board meeting this week, the Wikimedia Foundation
Board of Trustees voted not to ratify the proposed Charter. You can read the
full Board resolution [1] and minutes of the meeting [2].

The Board also approved a way forward, including three experiments that the
Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia affiliates, and community members can jointly
conduct in the three areas identified in the proposed Movement Charter to be
taken on by a future Global Council. The outlines of the proposals are included
in the resolution in the appendix [3] with concrete proposals for these key
areas. These include experiments designed to test the feasibility of proposals
related to resource distribution, technology advancement, and support of
Wikimedia movement organizations. Solutions for these collaborative experiments
should be designed for co-ownership and build on the capabilities of the entire
Wikimedia movement. And the comments received with the votes during the
ratification would help shape these proposals more.

==What’s next==

As of this writing, 2,451 individual voters participated and 129 affiliate
votes were cast, meeting the quorum for both groups. By July 24, the outcome of
these votes along with comments will be published so that any proposed next
steps can benefit from the input, reflections, and recommendations of all
voters. It is important to listen to the feedback that has been provided
through this process before taking further steps.

Following that, we shall ask for help in the coming months designing spaces on-
and off-wiki to request more feedback and improvements to the specific
proposals being offered to help us now move forward together. Some of this can
happen at Wikimania for those planning to attend, as we shall also be offering
our formal thanks at Wikimania to the Movement Charter Drafting Committee
members for their work.

To provide any comments in the meantime, please leave a comment on the main
talk page of the appendix on Meta [4]. Alternatively, you can request a
conversation with Foundation leadership as a part of
Talking:2024<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/Talking:_2024>.
 You can also use the Let’s
Talk<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/Talking:_2024#Let%27s_talk>
 feature to sign up for a time to speak with me and/or other trustees.

[1]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Draft_Movement_Charter_and_next_steps

[2] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes:2024-07-08

[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/Board_resolution_and_vote_on_the_proposed_Movement_Charter/Appendix

[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/Board_resolution_and_vote_on_the_proposed_Movement_Charter/Appendix

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!