On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM, AndrewRT <ratur...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Wikimedia UK is an independent organisation from the Wikimedia
> Foundation. We (WMUK) need a website of our own that we control, and
> ideally, where we own the domain name.

Absolutely. Speaking not as a ChapCom-rep, but as a chapter president,
if the WMF's approach is really as described in this thread, this
leaves me completely baffled. All the other chapters, if I'm not very
mistaken, own the wikimedia.xx domain in their country (unless, of
course, "stolen" by a third party). If Wikimedia DE owns and controls
"wikimedia.de", Wikimedia France "wikimedia.fr" and Wikimedia CH
"wikimedia.ch" (and I never heard any WMF objection to this state of
affairs), then I see no reason why Wikimedia UK should not own
wikimedia.org.uk (and wikimedia.co.uk if it wants to etc.)

If their is continuous refusal on the WMF's part to give the chapter
that domain, I would say this needs be raised at the Chapters Meeting
in April.

Regards,
Michael

--