River Tarnell wrote:
> it seems more useful to provide the text in uncompressed form, instead of the
> MediaWiki internal form that's almost impossible to work with.  does that seem
> reasonable?

The tools should get the text in uncompressed form. The interface to do
that is not so important.
Given the amount of text, I don't think storing text with some kind of
compression is something to discard right away.

A common data access interface would be interesting. Perhaps as a C
library to link, include as php extension... Then implement it for
different sources:
-Toolserver text replication
-WikiProxy
-Mysql mediawiki database
-Mediawiki API
-XML dump

Then applications just need to be designed for the text interface,
debugged with a local install, tested with a small dump, deployed on
toolserver...