Thanks Aryeh.

Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM, O. O. <olson...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I cannot understand why there are more redirects in the redirect table
>> than there are in the pages in the Page table with the redirect flag set.
>>
>> select count(*) from wikidb.redirect ;   ---  Gives 3422938
>>
>> while
>>
>> select count(*) from wikidb.page where page_is_redirect=1;   ---  Gives
>> 3242340
>>
>> Why should there be this difference? Are there redirects that are not
>> listed in the Page Table?
>
> It's denormalized data, so I'd assume that those are just errors of
> some kind.  If you need to be really really sure whether something is
> a redirect, you have to parse its text (it's just a regex, should be
> somewhere in includes/Article.php or something).  That's the
> authoritative check, which IIRC is used when actually deciding whether
> to redirect.

As,
SELECT count(*)  FROM wikidb.page JOIN wikidb.redirect ON
rd_from=page_id;  ---  Gives  3210708

Which is less than the total rows in the Redirect Table i.e.

select count(*) from wikidb.redirect ;   ---  Gives 3422938 which is
more than 3210708

I think this might mean that there are entries in the Redirect Table
where the rd_from does not correspond to a valid page_id in the Page
Table? I don’t know what these would be used for though.

Thanks again,
O. O.