On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM, apri a.vd.wiel <a.vd.w...@apri.nl> wrote:
> I see there is no formating (bold and italic) in the message. But for
> this case my conclusion is: MW formatting is (also) not correct.
> The markup spec says: Note that improper nesting of bold and italics
> is currently permitted.
> Which means that the formatting can't be correct in all cases. The
> markup spec must be more strict.

There is no spec.  It's "whatever Parser.php does".  The current
behavior cannot be easily changed to simplify the markup for third
parties, because that would break some unknown percentage of the
literally billions of old revisions that have accumulated in the last
seven years across countless thousands of MediaWiki installations.
Wikimedia alone is likely somewhere over a billion revisions.  So you
probably have to reimplement Parser.php more or less line-by-line in
your language of choice if you want it to work reliably.  That's why
there's not already an official WYSIWYG editor packaged by default.