On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Manuel Schneider <
manuel.schnei...@wikimedia.ch> wrote:

> Hi Chengbin,
>
> ZIM is an upcoming standard for using HTML contents offline. It is derived
> from the Zeno file format used on the german Wikipedia DVDs since 2006 (ZIM
> =
> Zeno IMproved).
>
> There are currently several reader applications for it, for instance the
> zimreader made by the openZIM project or Kiwix.
> There are some ports around like Kiwix on Windows and zimreader on openmoko
> /
> ARM.
>
> The zimreader by openZIM works like a small webserver, it serves the
> contents
> of the ZIM file locally.
>
> Once the HTML dump on static.wikimedia.org is fixed and ZIM file creation
> has
> been integrated you will be able to download fresh ZIM files of all
> Wikimedia
> projects directly from download.wikimedia.org.
>
> Currently the Kiwix team has created some ZIM files and we try to build a
> ZIM
> file directory:
> http://openzim.org/ZIM_File_Archive
>
> ZIM actually stores the article text portion of the HTML output of the Wiki
> in
> a compressed cluster. It can hold also all type of other MIME types such as
> images, CSS files etc.
> http://openzim.org/ZIM_File_Format
>
> It is an open standard and has currently been developed and implemented by
> the
> openZIM team (sponsored by Wikimedia CH) in C++. There is a library
> (zimlib)
> which can be integrated in other reader or dumping applications to make
> them
> ZIM-aware.
>
> Using the open documentation ZIM can be implemented in any other language
> as
> well.
> The idea of ZIM is to make the data files freely interchangeable with any
> reader application. It is also flexible enough to store other works than
> only
> data from Wikipedia/MediaWiki. Then it tries to keep the reader application
> as simple and stupid as possible. There is only uncompression and HTML
> rendering to be done while a HTML renderer should be available on nearly
> all
> devices.
>
> Greets,
>

> Manuel
>

> Am Mittwoch, 2. September 2009 schrieb Chengbin Zheng:
> > On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Manuel Schneider <
> >
> > manuel.schnei...@wikimedia.ch> wrote:
> > > Hi Chengbin, hi list,
> > >
> > > static.wikimedia.org is currently not being updated and while the
> dumps
> > > processing has been assigned to and completely rewritten by Tomasz Finc
> > > (developer at WMF), there has not been made any assignment concerning
> > > HTML dumps.

> [...]

Well, as I said, Archos devices are not computers. They're merely portable
video players with an internet browser. That's why I seek the static HTML
version of Wikipedia.

Will there be easy extraction of zim to HTML? Extracting a dump is too
difficult.