On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 9/25/09 11:39 AM, Brian wrote:
> > I do think that sufficient energy has been directed at this topic. People
> > have complained that xml is harder to edit that wikitext and that it is
> too
> > complicated, among other things.
>
> You seem to be talking about something utterly unrelated to this thread...
>
> The only XML under discussion here is an internal back-end
> representation of template metadata to drive a sane template invocation
> user-interface:
>
> * field names and descriptions (localizable)
> * field types/validation info
> * field grouping and optional/required info
> * other documentation & display info
>
> This would not be exposed to editors, viewers or readers; nor is it in
> any way related to whether, how, or when we might some day alter or
> replace wiki markup.
>
> -- brion

You have conveniently ignored the rest of my points, which are not, as you
have claimed, off topic. (and you love to jump into threads and claim they
have become off topic, historically, with only the points that you are
considering being on topic.)

To wrap them up for you:

* This will fundamentally change mediawiki and the consequences of this
feature have not been considered
* It will support the creation of new interfaces from interfaces, simply by
creating templates that create new templates and using the interface to that
template to create the new interface. Is this correct?
* We cannot evaluate the repercussions of this feature with respect to our
broader vision for mediawiki because we (by which I mean we, not you
personally) do not have one.