* Tei <oscar.vi...@gmail.com> [Sat, 26 Sep 2009 02:40:06 +0200]:
> Hello.
>
> Heres a screenshot of me editing the wikipedia:
>
> http://zerror.com/unorganized/crap/nogoodenough.png
>
> All the webmasters on this mail list will spot the problem with this
> text  in 1 second: is unreadable. The space betwen lines, the lines
> length, the complexity of the text... Is really hard to read.
> A HTML textarea can server for writting emails, and simple text, but
> on this image fail short. Textareas are not designed for this, or are
> not good enough.
>
> How a webmaster can make that text better? well.. you need to stop
> using the HTML textarea widget. And emulate it with divs, css and
> javascript. You need to colorize the code.  Nowdays *ALL* good code
> editors colorize code. If our code editor don't colorize the wiki
> sintax, or don't even try, our editor is bad. I could be wrong, but
> maybe [[links]] and {{templates}} can be detected and colorized.   And
> since you are emulating a editor, you can add a bit of usefull
> beaviors:  make so some areas are read only, so the cursor skip then.
> Oh.. and you can make the whole think AJAXified,.. so wen you click
> [Edit section] this section become editable, and wen you "save", the
> edit view send, and is replaced by the result. Why would you want to
> people bounce here and there to post stuff in 2009?
>
> He...  our computers support 24 M colors, and we are showing text with
> 2 colors? pfff....

I am very much supporting you! Both code colorizing and AJAX editing
preview. And maybe a links "code completion" - when yuu press [[ it will
open an JS-generated dialog with drop-down title search list. It's not
that wikitext is too hard (with the huge exception of templates) but the
editor is very much restricted.. Though templates surely aren't nice and
it's probably is better to keep them separate and XML-ize them.
Dmitriy