2009/10/1 Lars Aronsson <l...@aronsson.se>

> In the edit box, when I type [[John Doe]], I want some chance to
> verify that I'm linking to the right article, whether it is a
> disambiguation page, or by seeing the first sentence from that
> article.  I know I can "preview" my edit and click that link to
> see the page (or ctrl-click to make it appear in a new tab), but
> that method just seems sooo 2002.
>
> Is there some tool, button or gadget that does this trick? Perhaps
> some greasemonkey script?
>
> What it would do: From where the cursor stands in the edit box,
> search backwards for a "[[" and then forwards to the following "|"
> or "]]" which ever comes first (this covers the case that the
> cursor is inside the link brackets). Look up that article, show
> the first paragraph or 150 characters in a pop-up. If I click a
> link in the pop-up (a top link, or a disambig page), replace the
> link in the edit box so it points to that article.

The Navigation popups[1] has partially a functionality that does these: if
you select a link in the edit box it will display the first part of the
article in a popup; after saving if you hover over a disambig or redirect
link, you can choose to fix it with one click. I don't think it is possible
with it to do this fixing right from the edit box.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tools/Navigation_popups

Best regards,
Bence Damokos