On 1 February 2010 19:46, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That said, there must be *someone* on this list bloody-minded enough
>> to test Wikipedia in every possible browser and file bugs and patches
>> accordingly ...

> It shouldn't be a question of bloddy-mindedness.  The rotting of
> support for a single browser version would potential shut out many
> tens of thousands of users.  It's something worth dedicating some
> resources to.

I didn't mean "bloody-minded" as a bad thing - I'm presently compiling
Xorg from source on various virtualised OSes just for the fun of it
and noting that no-one at all could have done a complete Xorg compile
in the last year or they would have noticed all the breakages ...

I do think that a horribly under-resourced open source project (most
of them) can reasonably say "OK, if people want xxx supported, please
step forward" and, a year later, saying "OK, zero people came forward
to fix xxx, out it goes." It's a pretty powerful and conclusive
argument.

> Simply verifying functionality with all the *popular* browsers and
> platforms is already burdensome. Doing it well (and consistently)
> requires some infrastructure, such as a collection of virtualized
> client machines. Once that kind of infrastructure is in place and well
> oiled the marginal cost of adding a few more test cases should not be
> especially great.

This sort of automated test harness must have been built already many
times for other sites.

Presumably someone with MacOS X 10.4 PowerPC can run IE-Mac in Classic
for the sake of this. Anyone? Anyone? That is the necessary condition
to solve the problem presented by this thread, and also the sufficient
one.

- d.