I am both a long-time community member and a new WMF paid developer (in
the SF office) so I think I'm in a unique position to clear up some
misconceptions.

First of all, all this talk of secret listservs and IRC channels is
malarkey. Yes, there are private listservs and IRC channels. All of them
are private for very specific and well-established reasons. Most of them
are only used in very specific circumstances (for example if there was a
security breach that needed to be discussed privately) and tend to be
very low traffic. They are not the places where important decisions are
made.

Secondly, the idea that developers here in the office don't interact
with the community is absurd. The developers here interact with the
community constantly. We discuss community opinion and ideas, we talk
with community members all day long on IRC, listservs, and on-wiki. I'm
amazed that the developers here ever get anything done considering how
much time they spend documenting what they are working on and
interacting with the community about it. The problem is they can't
interact with everyone everywhere: Code Review, IRC, listservs, the Tech
Blog, meta, Signpost, etc. So no matter what, someone is going to feel
like they are out of the loop.

The WMF is extremely interested in new developers interacting with the
community, indeed they try to hire developers from within the community
when possible. The notion that the foundation is hiring corporate drones
who are only going to listen to their task masters is completely
unfounded. Yes, there have been situations where the foundation has been
given grant money for very specifically defined projects and those
projects have been implemented without adequate community involvement.
Everyone (including the foundation) knows that that's not how we want to
do development in the future. As has been discussed throughout the past
year, the foundation wants to move away from accepting any money with
strings attached and away from relying on grants in general. Hopefully,
if this year's fundraiser goes well, we won't have to worry about these
issues in the future.

Ryan Kaldari