Hi,

I was involved in an open source project that was usurped by one of the main
developers for the sole reason of making money, and that project continues now
to take advantage of the community to increase the profit of that developer.  I
never would have thought such a thing was possible until I saw that happen.  If
that developer wasn't acting greedy, there would now be open source hardware
for radio transceivers of all types, but instead there is only open source
software for radio of all types.  I find it a shame, and when I was working on
that project I could *feel* it being usurped!  I unfortunately may be paranoid
as I feel the same thing here with the wikimedia foundation usurping
wikipedia.  If you don't believe me, just consider that it is a very gradual
process, like getting people used to not being able to download image dumps
anymore, and ignoring ALL requests to restore this functionality.  Also failing
to provide full history backups of the flagship wiki.  These two facts allow
the wikimedia foundation to maintain the control of intellectual property that
wasn't created by the people.  If you want the wikimedia foundation to respect
you as volunteers, you will have to DEMAND respect by making sure that they
never usurp the project.  I think the best way to do this is to make sure we
can all download up to date full history with images wikipedia's so a fork at
any time is possible.  Sure it may be paranoid, but trust me it is worth it to
be paranoid regarding a project as important as wikipedia.  I have been in
situations like this before, I wish I had acted before even if I was wrong!  I
wouldn't even be speaking now except for reading the heart-felt words of
volunteers in this thread that are unhappy with how the wikimedia foundation is
running.  We need to organize to get wikimedia foundation to release images
tarballs, they are only ignoring multiple requests to do so, so far.

cheers,
Jamie