On 8 September 2010 22:15, Jamie Morken <jmor...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I was involved in an open source project that was usurped by one of the main
> developers for the sole reason of making money, and that project continues
> now to take advantage of the community to increase the profit of that
> developer.  I never would have thought such a thing was possible until I saw
> that happen.  If that developer wasn't acting greedy, there would now be open
> source hardware for radio transceivers of all types, but instead there is
> only open source software for radio of all types.  I find it a shame, and
> when I was working on that project I could *feel* it being usurped!  I
> unfortunately may be paranoid as I feel the same thing here with the
> wikimedia foundation usurping wikipedia.  If you don't believe me, just
> consider that it is a very gradual process, like getting people used to not
> being able to download image dumps anymore, and ignoring ALL requests to
> restore this functionality.  Also failing to provide full history backups of
> the flagship wiki.  These two facts allow the wikimedia foundation to
> maintain the control of intellectual property that wasn't created by the
> people.

This is something that's been a problem for years now.

I do not think there is any sort of deliberate intent. However,
keeping the data close is a way to proprietise a wiki even if it's
free content, so making it easy to fork is an important attitude to
maintain.

I realise this is difficult when the devs have to work as hard as
possible just to keep everything from falling over ...

- d.