To really fix the problem we would have to go HTTPS by default. I don't
know what that means to our resource usage, as well as how it affects
people who cannot use HTTPS for whatever reason.

By the way, there is a plugin for Firefox called HTTPS Everywhere, which
will attempt to switch to HTTPS whenever possible for many sites.
Wikipedia is among the supported sites.

    https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

The author of that plugin reached out to the foundation some months ago
complaining that upload.wikimedia.org and commons.wikimedia.org had no
HTTPS equivalents. I honestly don't know all of the security
implications there -- upload.wikimedia.org seems okay (from a login
hijacking perspective), since we never transmit any login credentials
there, but we do with commons.wikimedia.org, and there's no HTTPS
equivalent.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar (|  <ne...@wikimedia.org>