On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:
> On 25/10/10 23:26, George Herbert wrote:
>> I for one only use secure.wikimedia.org; I would like to urge as a
>> general course that the Foundation switch to a HTTPS by default
>> strategy...
>
> HTTPS means full encryption, that is either :
>   - a ton of CPU cycles : those are wasted cycles for something else.
>   - SSL ASIC : costly, specially given our gets/ bandwidth levels
>
> Meanwhile, use secure.wikimedia.org :-)

I don't want to be rude, but I'm a professional large website
infrastructure architect for my paying day job.

The current WMF situation is becoming "quaint" - pros use
secure.wikimedia.org, amateurs don't realize what they're exposing.
By professional standards, we're not keeping up with professional
industry expectations.  It's not nuclear bomb secrets (cough) or
missile designs (cough) but our internal function (in terms of keeping
more sensitive accounts private and not hacked) and our ability to
reassure people that they're using a modern and reliable site are
falling slowly.

It's just CPU cycles.  Those, of all the things today, are the
cheapest by far...  Please, hand me a tough problem, like needing
database storage bandwidth that only SSD can match and yet will last
for 5+ years reliably, or an N^2 or N^M or N! problem in the core
logic, or even using a database to store all the file-like objects and
not being able to clean up the database indexes.  Those are hard.  CPU
time, raw cycles?  Easy.

--
-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com