On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Hay (Husky) <hus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A new Firefox plugin that makes it trivially easy to hijack cookies
> from a website that's using HTTP for login over an unencrypted
> wireless network.

It doesn't hijack login, it hijacks cookies, so we're only protected
if we serve all pages over HTTPS.  The major problem with this is that
it's hard to serve different domains over HTTPS from the same server,
because the server has to present the certificate before the client
says what domain it's trying to log into.  We could probably work
around this somehow, e.g., have a different IP address for different
second-level domains (which represent different virtual IP addresses
of the same server) and then have a wildcard domain certificate for
each second-level domain.  In principle there are also spiffier ways
to do it, like SNI or maybe subjectAltName:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

But those might not be reliably usable yet.

Anyway, this is all doable in principle, yes.  It will probably impose
no significant processing overhead, CPUs are powerful enough today
that TLS shouldn't be a big deal.  (I recall hearing that Google
noticed no increase in CPU usage after enabling TLS by default for
Gmail.)  But it's not necessarily trivial to set up.  My impression is
that the ops have "get proper TLS working" somewhere fairly low on
their priority list.