Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongm...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wondering what the status for 1.17 is. How far are we from RC? Is
> there any more review left?

Initially, Chad was going to be the release manager for 1.17, but other
issues meant that he isn't going to have time to manage it right now.

I think the current plan is to have Tim make the 1.17 release.  I don't
think any merges are left at this time besides, maybe, the recent XSS
fix.

Still, since Tim is is the release manager, he should have more
definitive answers.

> Related to this, as our review burden for 1.17 lessens, we should
> start to think about 1.18: re-recruit reviewers again, start thinking
> about when to branch 1.18, etc. Are there any plans related to that?

Nothing formal yet, but all of us are very aware of the need to make
code review happen in a timely manner.  I'll be watching CRStats
(http://toolserver.org/~robla/crstats/crstats.html) closely and
encouraging developers to help in code review.

I think branching 1.18 immediately after the 1.17 release (or now, for
that matter) will help us manage code review better.  If we have people
testing the 1.18 branch and updating regularly (similar to what Ubuntu
does for their development) and we set a date (July 15th?) when we know
we have to have a release prepared, then that will help Code Review all
the more.

But after a bit of discussion on IRC, I think we should try to get
Tim's, Brion's and anyone else's opinion on what they think about the
release schedule and code review.

Mark