2011/4/15 Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>:
> My preference is for 2 to 3 major releases per year. We branched 1.17
> in December and we're looking at doing a release in April. So a 4
> month cycle would imply branching 1.18 in April and releasing in August.
>
> I don't think having 4 or 5 major releases per year would serve anyone
> particularly well. A slower release cadence means:

I can get on board with having 3 releases per year, but I'll reiterate
that 3 months, let alone 4, between branching and releasing is too
long. Yes, 1.17 took 4 months to stabilize, but it was 10 months'
worth of code, so that's a 1:2.5 ratio. Interpolating that suggests
that a release with 4 months' worth of code can be prepared in less
than 2 months, and I think that once code review is organized properly
such that large backlogs don't happen anymore (we had a very large
backlog for 1.17 and I think we'll have a comparable one, considering
the difference in elapsed time, for 1.18, but I'd really like to have
this organized properly for 1.19 or 1.20), we can do better than that.

Instead, you're proposing a 1:1 workflow where, at any given point in
time, we always have a release branch that's being stabilized, which
means we have to perpetually maintain three branches (trunk,
deployment, release) instead of two, and are always in the process of
preparing a release. I don't like that idea, and I think it's
unnecessary.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)