2011/4/14 Mark A. Hershberger <mhershber...@wikimedia.org>:
> I think branching 1.18 immediately after the 1.17 release (or now, for
> that matter) will help us manage code review better.  If we have people
> testing the 1.18 branch and updating regularly (similar to what Ubuntu
> does for their development) and we set a date (July 15th?) when we know
> we have to have a release prepared, then that will help Code Review all
> the more.

July?!?

I know 1.17 took a long time, but that was like a year's worth of
code. We should strike to keep the branch-to-release time as low as we
can, and it definitely needs to be WAY less than 3 months. It's been
like 4 months for 1.17, but 1.17 was quite exceptional, and more
frequent and quicker releases should become the rule.

My opinion is it would be best to branch 1.18 now-ish and revert
Happy-melon's Action changes (he wholeheartedly agreed that's 1.19
material).

Slightly off-topic:

Also, we should get our code review act together in a more sustainable
way. I've brought this up before, but it hasn't gotten a lot of
attention, probably due to the 1.17 craze. We have to have a serious
discussion about code review reform (to use a political-sounding
term); I think the tech staff meeting after the Berlin hackathon would
be a good venue for discussing the WMF side of this. The conference
itself is really supposed to be a hackathon this time, so I'm not sure
that having a protracted discussion there would be a very good idea;
that's basically what we did the whole time last year, and this year
is supposed to not be like that for a reason.

As always we do of course need to be careful to not want to solve this
"internally" between WMF staff, but have a public discussion with
everyone regardless of whether they happen to be paid.  However, my
impression is that this particular topic is one that mainly involves
staff and that it would be acceptable to hammer something out
internally and propose that on wikitech-l as something of a draft, in
this particular case. I'd be very interested to hear how unpaid
developers feel about that, as some of them have called out this
practice as undesirable back in September.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)