On 11-08-09 04:14 PM, John Elliot wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 9:08 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>> I can't even find the spot in the HTML4 or XHTML1 spec where it says
>> that a perfectly fine marked up list is invalid if it doesn't contain
>> any items.
> Well you could save yourself some trouble and let validator.w3.org guide
> you in that matter.
Guide?
You mean link to that information so I have the actual words of the spec
that browsers are supposed to implement? It doesn't give any link.
You mean take the validator's interpretation as the absolute an
unequivocal authority that it's wrong without seeing the information in
the actual spec saying it's wrong? Like hell... If I accepted a
validator's narrow (potentially incorrectly implemented) interpretation
of something I wouldn't be using CSS vendor prefixes like
-moz-border-radius since last time I checked the css validator says
they're wrong, even though vendor prefixes are a valid part of the spec.

That's actually a pretty good direction to take explaining the fallacy
of validators and badges for them.
Our css includes output like:
.foo { background-image: url(data:...); background-image: url(...) !ie;}
Strict interpretation wise, that's invalid css because !ie is not valid
inside the background-image. Are we going to remove that? Hell no, if we
did versions of IE people are still using would stop displaying
background images because they can't handle data uris.

Likewise with HTML what matters is NOT that a strict validator says it's
ok, but that it's well-formed so that all browsers have the same
interpretation of it, and conforms to understandable patterns either
de-facto or detailed in external specs (like the RSD spec, Universal
Edit Button, etc...).
eg: EditURI is part of RSD [Really Simple Discovery], it's a standard
way of letting software discover the api endpoint(s) for a page. In the
future not having that could mean that a tool one of your users may use
could break because it can't find the api.