On 10/08/2011 10:16 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> On 11-08-09 04:14 PM, John Elliot wrote:
>> On 10/08/2011 9:08 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>>> I can't even find the spot in the HTML4 or XHTML1 spec where it says
>>> that a perfectly fine marked up list is invalid if it doesn't contain
>>> any items.
>> Well you could save yourself some trouble and let validator.w3.org guide
>> you in that matter.
> Guide?
> You mean link to that information so I have the actual words of the spec
> that browsers are supposed to implement? It doesn't give any link.

Why are you telling me?

http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html

> You mean take the validator's interpretation as the absolute an
> unequivocal authority that it's wrong without seeing the information in
> the actual spec saying it's wrong? Like hell... If I accepted a
> validator's narrow (potentially incorrectly implemented) interpretation
> of something I wouldn't be using CSS vendor prefixes like
> -moz-border-radius since last time I checked the css validator says
> they're wrong, even though vendor prefixes are a valid part of the spec.

If you'd seen Pirates of the Caribbean, you'd understand that there's a
difference between rules and guidelines.

Of course some of us take the guidelines rather seriously.

> That's actually a pretty good direction to take explaining the fallacy
> of validators and badges for them.
> Our css includes output like:
> .foo { background-image: url(data:...); background-image: url(...) !ie;}
> Strict interpretation wise, that's invalid css because !ie is not valid
> inside the background-image. Are we going to remove that? Hell no, if we
> did versions of IE people are still using would stop displaying
> background images because they can't handle data uris.

Again, I think it's reasonable to engineer a system where policy
decisions such as this are at the option of the user.

I'm a user of MediaWiki, and I care more about strict compliance with
open-standards than I do about supporting antiquated browsers, so I
should be able to take the decision to not support that.

> Likewise with HTML what matters is NOT that a strict validator says it's
> ok, but that it's well-formed so that all browsers have the same
> interpretation of it, and conforms to understandable patterns either
> de-facto or detailed in external specs (like the RSD spec, Universal
> Edit Button, etc...).

Again, there will be a class of MediaWiki users who have a different
opinion.

> eg: EditURI is part of RSD [Really Simple Discovery], it's a standard
> way of letting software discover the api endpoint(s) for a page. In the
> future not having that could mean that a tool one of your users may use
> could break because it can't find the api.

There is a process for this defacto standard to be integrated with
web-standards, and by not supporting it until it has gone through that
process you provide incentives for its proponents to ensure they do
things in an amiable and collaborative fashion.