Happy Melon wrote:
> On 15 December 2011 19:49, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you believe that current bot is better or that more people would
>> like to maintain its source feel free to insert it to svn, and later
>> when it is ready to labs (since I don't know java I am really unable
>> to help you with that). I didn't want to start a war what language /
>> bot is better.
>
> I am indeed struggling to see why a volunteer donating their time and
> skills to produce a tool which is useful to the community, committing that
> code in a way that makes it as accessible as possible to other developers,
> prioritising its stability and availability, and soliciting feedback from
> other members of the community, is in some way something that should be
> treated with scorn and negativity.  If it has both better current
> functionality than the current code, and more energy for development from
> its maintainer(s), then it's a useful addition to our suite of tools; if
> not then it's a useful addition to the corpus of open source software in
> general.  In no circumstances is its existence anything worse than neutral.

It reads mostly like a wariness thing to me. Someone shows up, contributes
some code, and promises stability. If they're known in the community and
have an established reputation, great. If not, there's wariness. If someone
quickly gets bored with the project, you possibly end up with a worse
situation.

I'm not sure what kind of stability is expected from the labs
instances/hosts. It'd be nice to get a firmer answer on that before
switching hosts. The Toolserver is largely stable, so any jump to a
different host should be able to approximately match (or beat!) it.

I've considered rewriting mwbot before (in Python). Any replacement needs to
maintain the channel logs. That's one of the primary reasons I didn't feel
like doing a rewrite. Preferably in roughly the same format (file naming,
file type, etc.). And those logs will need to be hosted and accessible (and
preferably searchable). They're currently on the Toolserver and largely
consolidated at this point, I think. There's a hackish tool on top that can
run grep on the logs from a web UI.

There is some sort of issue with encoding in the current logs, I think. So
if you rewrite that functionality, there might be an improvement if you can
output everything sanely. :-)

MZMcBride