Daniel,

I suggest there isn't a need for "data objects (that) will
be cached in the client wiki (i.e. wikipedia)". In the transclusion
approach, nothing at all is cached by the client wiki except the
infobox's HTML, within the squid cache as has been outlined. IOW, I'm
still wondering *why* data objects must be retrieved and then cached by
anyone, in the first place. And, so that I fully understand the wikidata
approach, isn't it actually true that the API calls that you say are NOT
occurring "during the render process (that) would be very scary", are
indeed executed during every purge of a wikipage?

If, as you imply,
transclusion meets wikidata's functional requirements, then would it
still be necessary to require every wikipedia to install the
client/server API (aka the "wikidata client")? What is so compelling
about the client/server approach? You say "Keeping the control over the
formatting in the client wiki seems desirable to me" overlooks the fact
that normal wiki rules-of-the-road apply within the wikidata environment
also, where authors certainly should be able to exert "control", likely
even more so, over infobox content & styling.

Thanks - john

jmcclure@hypergrove.comwrote:

>> I am concerned about the performance
impact of every wikipedia calling an API for each property that it
wishes to format as content in pages' infoboxes, as I understand is the
design the project is pursuing.

> No, that's not the case. The data
objects will be cached in the client wiki
> (i.e. wikipedia) and be
loaded into memory once for any page that uses them.
> Doing API calls
during the render process would be very scary.

>> Could you please
explain to this community why it's technically superior to field a
client/server API rather than transclusion, e.g.,
{{wikidata:en:infobox:Thomas Jefferson}} It seems more stable a design
to format the infobox on wikidata, and then simply transclude the
result.

> Keeping the control over the formatting in the client wiki
seems desirable to
> me, though I also see the appeal of a central
repository for infobox templates.
> We could just have both though, just
like for images: use the local version if
> it exists, otherwise use
thetemplate form a central repo (which may be on the
> wikidata site or
somewhere else).