Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 12:04 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>> We need some sort of think tank (well some thing with a better name)
>> non-profit that people donate to. To have it hire people to crank out
>> MediaWiki features outside of just the stuff WMF wants.
>>
>> I'd love to spend 80% of my time cranking out fringe MediaWiki features
>> where what the community wants and what my specialties are intersect.
>>

> To borrow from the great Amir: +[[Crore]]

Yes, what the world needs is another horribly confusingly named foundation.
After we establish the MediaWiki Foundation, we can start work on the
MikiWedia Foundation and the WediaMiki Foundation. ;-)

In all seriousness, this has come up a few times before (on wikitech-l and
mediawiki-l, I believe) and it deserves thoughtful consideration. I think
the first step is to write a draft somewhere on MediaWiki.org detailing:

* what you view as the current deficiencies of the Wikimedia Foundation
owning/operating MediaWiki; and

* what possible problems might be solved (or created!) by the establishment
of a MediaWiki Foundation.

A discussion of some analogous organizations (such as Mozilla) might be good
as case studies to include in such a page as well.

MZMcBride