On 09/03/2012 03:59 PM, Oren Bochman wrote:
>     e.g. The amount of Template Code in about 20 times the size of
> MediaWiki code base.

[Citation Needed]

This number fascinates me.  It isn't that I doubt it, but could you cite
a source?

Perhaps it is because so much of my time has been spent as a staffer
that I'm not aware of the source.

> 2. I would seriously look at maximizing [the community's] potential
> before allocating more funds for paid development.

Are you sure that potential hasn't already been maximized?  We have a
great thing here with MediaWiki.  There are already a lot of passionate
developers involved.

Daniel Friesen (a major community developer) has already said that he
would like to see this happen so he could spend *more* time on MediaWiki
projects.

I've left Wikimedia but I still find time to contribute.  I can assure
you that there would be a lot more time for me to contribute if I could
point to a fungible benefit for my contribution.

> 2.1 This means making it much easier to develop/test/deploy to Live
> wikis. (Short Tutorials, Code Samples, Documentation)
> 2.2 Create a culture where new coders are assigned to work with experienced
> coders to fix and maintaining existing code.
> 2.3 Motivating paid developer to work (i.e. review and direct) the
> community....
> 2.4 Team up with Wikia and WikiHow Devteams on common features and on small
> wiki testing.

I think all these are all great ideas.  I eagerly await their
implementation.

> 3. Looking at the metrics -  The Mediawiki team is still not setup to do
> development like other leading Open Souce development communities.

[Citation Needed]

You seem to have metrics I am not aware of.

Also, no other Open Source community has such a large website
(Wikipedia) to display its end product.  Sure, you could say that lots
of them run Linux, but that isn't anywhere as close to what the user
sees as MediaWiki is.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Human evil is not a problem.  It is a mystery.  It cannot be solved.
              -- When Atheism Becomes a Religion, Chris Hedges