Daniel Friesen wrote:
> Done in true developer style "[RFC] MediaWiki Foundation":
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/MediaWiki_Foundation

Thank you for this! This is exactly what I had in mind.

It's interesting, with a lot of (proposed) non-profits, the biggest concerns
are engaging volunteers and generating income. With this proposed
foundation, I think most of the typical concerns aren't in play. Instead, as
Nikerabbit so deftly commented on the RFC's talk page, the big question is:

What projects would a MediaWiki Foundation work on and how would those
projects be chosen?

This seems to be _the_ crucial issue. Getting grants from the Wikimedia
Foundation or Wikia or others doesn't seem like it'd be very difficult.
Assuming there was broad support for the creation of such a foundation from
active MediaWiki developers (and related stakeholders), getting the
Wikimedia Foundation to release the trademark and domain also doesn't seem
like it would be very difficult. But there's a huge unresolved question
about how, out of the infinite number of project ideas, a MediaWiki
Foundation would choose which ideas to financially support.

> As you command oh great catalyst[1].
> [1] Hope you don't mind. I found it amusing. And it kind of fits in a
> positive way.

Cute. :-)

MZMcBride