On 01/09/12 06:08, Daniel Kinzler wrote:
> Until a few weeks ago, I let development on that branch rest, awaiting
> feedback
> so I could be sure to be moving into the right direction. This didn't work
> out,
> since the code was still too incomplete for a full review. I have now tied
> down
> most loose ends, but I'm still getting no feedback. Would it be best to halt
> development again? It's never going to be *finished*, there's always
> *something*
> to improve...

I've been busy, but I can do another review of the ContentHandler
branch this week. I'm not expecting to find major architectural issues
with it. Architecturally, it's pretty simple: replace text with
Content objects, and have a ContentHandler hierarchy representing
their types. That basic scheme is not disputed.

There's the question of what level of quality we should aim for. We'll
probably find things that will break when a non-text content type is
used. I'd like to see such issues solved, or at least make sure the
ContentHandler API will support a solution without major changes, but
my reasons are mostly aesthetic. In principle, such development work
can be done after the merge. But it seems to me that there's no point
in merging it if it only supports text content, since MediaWiki
already supports pure text content well enough. If we can achieve
robust support for non-text data types, then the motivation for
merging it will be stronger.

-- Tim Starling