Niklas voiced what will surely be a common refrain amongst extension
developers:

On 02/13/2013 02:09 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:
> There is near zero chance that I will keep supporting 1.19 for that
> long in master branch in all of my extensions (and this is assuming
> support for 1.19 is dropped immediately when 1.25 is released). It's
> already hard since 1.19 is missing some features I need.
>
> People need to realize that they can't get the latest shiny extensions
> on years old MediaWiki. For extensions this would mean that they would
> create a branch with security fixes and other important bug fixes for
> 1.19. MLEB will probably just declare some release as the last release
> that works with 1.19.

As we develop our LTS policy (and it has to be a policy developed by all
of us so that there is some consensus about it), we need to flesh these
things out.

I didn't intend to equate maintenance with LTS support with
implementation of all the latest features of an extension, but the way I
framed it -- and the change I made to Niklas APC extension release
status MW.o -- made it look that way.

As Niklas says:

> Maintained doesn't necessarily mean support for 1.19 is kept.

True.

We can satisfy LTS users (who want to know that X extension will work
with their version of MW) and developers (who don't want to spend too
much time maintaining their extensions for old MW) by updating the
"Release Status" box and adding a link to a version of the extension
that has been verified to work with the LTS.

As for finding maintainers for orphaned extensions: that is something we
haven't tried yet.  I hope it we can find them in cases where we need
them.  Nemo pointed me to http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:Apc for
sites that use the APC extension -- which Niklas has said needs a new
maintainer.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"