Atul, one of the fun projects that has been sitting on my backburner is to
implement errors and warnings localization for the Web API. The project
would involve some planning, figuring out translation framework, and later
- converting all API modules and extensions to use it. As a result, all
clients, including mobile, will be able to report errors to the users in
their native language. I am not sure how GSOC supervision functions, but I
will definitely be involved with the implementation.

This is slightly bigger than a bug fix, but should be fairly independent
from everything and will give you good exposure into internals as well as
javascript and other  clients.