Thank you Waldir for your analysis of

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub

On 02/26/2013 04:01 PM, Waldir Pimenta wrote:
My main concern with that page
is that it's too massive, with too many links
and too much stuff highlighted, and I honestly feel a little
overwhelmed reading it

I agree, and this is exactly the opposite of what a Developer Hub should be.

I'll speculate a little, and suggest that the root of this disorientation
happens due to not separating reference docs from tutorial docs, from what
I'll call "guided overviews", and allowing each of these to clearly assume
one of those identities.

And more: that overwhelming page focuses on PHP / MediaWiki core / extensions while all the newer areas of development are still missing. A Developer Hub must be the hub for all developers.

Following with your proposal, we could have:

Developer Hub: a general overview with a very focused selection of links to send people to appropriate places. Less is more.

/Get started (or similar name): intro for newcomers with relevant links.

/Reference (or similar name): what developers need on a regular basis.

Developer Hub and Get started should be more concise and visually pleasant, satisfying new developers. Reference is for usual suspects, so it could have more beef and links in order to have everything in one place.

Do you think this makes sense? Should we start discussing at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Developer_hub ?

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation