On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Is there anything specific in the communications involved that you found
> > was problematic, other than a failure to include a backlink in the
> initial
> > revert?
> >

> I think this entire thing was a big failure in basic software development
> and systems administration. If MobileFrontend is so tightly coupled with
> the desktop login form, that is a problem with MobileFrontend.

As noted already in the thread, the commit was broken for non-JS users as
well as for mobile; it's not a deficiency in MobileFrontend specifically.

> In addition,
> the fact that a practically random code change was launched into production
> an hour later without so much as a test...

Aha -- this seems to strike to the heart of the matter. Would you agree
this incident has more to do with problems with the branch deployment
scheduling than with commit warring?

-- brion

That's the kind of thing that