On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Is there anything specific in the communications involved that you found
> > was problematic, other than a failure to include a backlink in the
> initial
> > revert?
> >

> I think this entire thing was a big failure in basic software development
> and systems administration. If MobileFrontend is so tightly coupled with
> the desktop login form, that is a problem with MobileFrontend. In addition,
> the fact that a practically random code change was launched into production
> an hour later without so much as a test...

It was in fact our automated browser test suite that alerted us that a
change to some other area of the software overnight had broken some central
MobileFrontend functionality.  It was rather unexpected, and we moved
quickly to identify the issue and revert it in the short amount of time we
had before the code went to production.

> That's the kind of thing that
> gets people fired at other companies.
>
> But apparently I'm the only person that thinks this, so the WMF can feel
> free to do what it wants.

That sort of thing is not necessary.

-Chris