In over two years at WMF I have never been involved in a discussion like
this, but here goes:

In this case, I think it was entirely appropriate to revert immediately and
pick up the pieces later.  The source of the code is immaterial, if Tim
Starling  or Brion Vibber had merged this we would have done exactly the
same thing.

As Steven noted, the immediate issue was that it created a serious problem
with the mobile account creation process.  This blocked our ability to test
other aspects of mobile account creation and login that have changed
recently.  And, since this occurred on Thursday morning in the run-up to
the weekly deployment, we had little time to prevent this going live to
production.

Beyond that, there are serious concerns with any feature that a) requires
javascript support in the client in order to create an account on the wiki
and b) does not honor the characters that the user types in the username
and password fields.  I know of at least one historical instance where
violating b) caused a significant problem in UniversalLanguageSelector.
We prevented the ULS problem from going live to production at the time,
also.

-Chris