On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is there anything specific in the communications involved that you
> found
> > > was problematic, other than a failure to include a backlink in the
> > initial
> > > revert?
> > >

> > I think this entire thing was a big failure in basic software development
> > and systems administration. If MobileFrontend is so tightly coupled with
> > the desktop login form, that is a problem with MobileFrontend.
>

> As noted already in the thread, the commit was broken for non-JS users as
> well as for mobile; it's not a deficiency in MobileFrontend specifically.
>

> > In addition,
> > the fact that a practically random code change was launched into
> production
> > an hour later without so much as a test...
>

> Aha -- this seems to strike to the heart of the matter. Would you agree
> this incident has more to do with problems with the branch deployment
> scheduling than with commit warring?
>
> -- brion

Does core have any  policies related to merging?  The core features team
has adopted a methodology(although slightly different) that we learned of
from the VE team.  Essentially +2 for 24 hours before a deployment branch
is cut is limited to fixes for bugs that  were introduced since the last
deployment branch was cut or reverts for patches that turned out to not be
ready for deployment.  Core is certainly bigger and with more participants,
but perhaps a conversation about when to +2 and how that effects the
deployment process would be benefitial?