On 7 mrt. 2014, at 12:27, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> When Commons gets the Wikidata treatment, almost everything that has to do
> with meta data will gain wikidata statements on the Wikidata item that
> reflects a media file (sound photo movie no matter). When items refer to
> "Creators" or "Institutions" they will refer to Wikidata proper.
>
> This will replace much if not most of how information is stored about media
> files.
>
> Pretty much almost everything will be impacted and that is what I expect to
> be reflected in considerations now because the alternative is that much of
> it will need to be revisited on a massive scale.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

This is not mutual exclusive.

1: You said it "much, if not most"

Neither much, nor most == all

2: The output api is very important here, and the output API won't/doesn't
really care about where the data is coming from.

3: Much of this has to do with data entry and creating links. Wether you couple
text, wikitext or an ID, it doesn't really matter that much. you still need the
software to make it accessible, usable and understandable during the upload
process or the 'maintenance' process. The view != data model

4: You should not make too much interteam commitments if you aren't directly
interacting. Be agile, change plans as you go to find the best solution if
needed. Be informed sure, but don't wait.

My point is YES, wikidata is important and it overlaps with some aspects of
these goals, but it's just one part of the userstory, and it's the part the
general user will care least about, and the part that is probably easiest to
replace (since it's backend facing).

DJ