On Mar 9, 2014 1:35 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Your assumption is that the metadata from Wikidata will be essentially the
> same. It is not.
>
> Because the metadata will be essentially different, I ask for attention.
At
> this moment in time all the metadata is essentially English.

I havent been following the most recent mmv developments, but thats not my
impression. Even if that is the case it wouldnt change that much.

> This will be
> no longer the case with Wikidata. The data that is provided can be in any
> language. In future there will no longer be a guarantee that there will be
> information in English.

Lots of files dont have en descriptions currently.

> Also, with Wikidata, the one suggestion that has
> the most promise for helping FIND media files is that they will be tagged.
> This will probably make categories less relevant.

Meh, tagging and categories are essentially the same thing with different
social conventions. Even if tagging starts happening on commons i dont see
anything other than a superficial affect on multimediaviewer.

> It is quite funny in my opinion. You assume that business will be as usual
> and consequently show no interest in how Wikidata can be a game changer.
At
> this time Commons is "the repository where everyone can contribute".
People
> have a hard time finding anything. How do you find a picture from Batavia
> from 1930 / 1940 ? How do you search for this in Dutch ? The Wikidata
> treatment of Commons makes it possible to find them.

Yes, but i dont see that being relavent to multimedia viewer. At least not
architecturally. It might be able to take advantage of this, but it wouldnt
require architecture changes.

> As metadata like GPS info will associated with a subject, a photo with GPS
> information may be the source of providing GPS information to subjects. As
> yet another picture of the Borobodur arrives at Commons, the GPS info may
> suggest that the label in Zulu is (however Borobodur is writen in Zulu),
> this enables the suggestion to add the label for Borobodur in Zulu.

We already store gps info in queryable form for both wikipedia articles
(subjects) and pictures. And we have for at least a year. Somebody could
make something to suggest categories based on gps right now if they wanted.
I fail to see relavence to multimedia viewer.

> When people are looking at pictures, we can ask them to add the missing
> labels in their language.

Wikidata will make this easier. Somebody could do this with hacky js right
now if they wanted.

> Wikidata will be a game changer for the usability of Commons. It enables
> FINDING media files. At this time I do not even bother it takes too much
> effort. IMHO all this is exactly what a plan about an architecture update
> should be about

I think you are talking about a different type of architecture. The code
structure of multimedia viewer is the architecture in question. The big
picture structure of commons is an entirely different conversation.
Wikidata may be a game changer to commons. I doubt it will have a
significant affect on the code arcitecture of the multimedia viewer project.

-bawolff