Hoi,
Your assumption is that the metadata from Wikidata will be essentially the
same. It is not.

Because the metadata will be essentially different, I ask for attention. At
this moment in time all the metadata is essentially English. This will be
no longer the case with Wikidata. The data that is provided can be in any
language. In future there will no longer be a guarantee that there will be
information in English. Also, with Wikidata, the one suggestion that has
the most promise for helping FIND media files is that they will be tagged.
This will probably make categories less relevant.

It is quite funny in my opinion. You assume that business will be as usual
and consequently show no interest in how Wikidata can be a game changer. At
this time Commons is "the repository where everyone can contribute". People
have a hard time finding anything. How do you find a picture from Batavia
from 1930 / 1940 ? How do you search for this in Dutch ? The Wikidata
treatment of Commons makes it possible to find them.

As metadata like GPS info will associated with a subject, a photo with GPS
information may be the source of providing GPS information to subjects. As
yet another picture of the Borobodur arrives at Commons, the GPS info may
suggest that the label in Zulu is (however Borobodur is writen in Zulu),
this enables the suggestion to add the label for Borobodur in Zulu.

When people are looking at pictures, we can ask them to add the missing
labels in their language.

Wikidata will be a game changer for the usability of Commons. It enables
FINDING media files. At this time I do not even bother it takes too much
effort. IMHO all this is exactly what a plan about an architecture update
should be about
Thanks,
       GerardM