Le 14/05/2014 00:34, Jon Robson a écrit :
> During the Zurich hackathon, DJ Hartman, Aude and I knocked up a
> generic maps prototype extension [1]. We have noticed that many maps
> like extensions keep popping up and believed it was time we
> standardised on one that all these extensions could use so we share
> data better.
> [1] https://github.com/jdlrobson/WikiMaps

<snip>
> Dan Andreescu also created a similar visualisation namespace which may
> want to be folded into this as a map could be seen as a visualisation.
> I invite Dan to comment on this with further details :-)!

Hello Jon,

In short, I have been very impressed by the lightning presentation of
WikiMaps and Dan Vizualization extension.

- WikiMaps seems to be a subset of Dan hack, it uses GeoJSON and renders
them on top of an OpenStreet map layer.

- Dan Viz extensions goes a step further since it uses any JSON based
format (ie GeoJSON) and then let you pick a renderer (ie: map) and
finely tweak the resulting output.

Both will make it way easier to render data set in a meaningful way to
our users and I am inviting you to *merge both efforts* to build the
next generation data visualization utility.

A typical use case for me would be:

- get the the population of countries over time (from wikidata?)
- collaboratively work on a data visualization
- have the resulting render parameters saved up with an id
- insert it in article

Such a system has been created previously but went down in 2010: Swivel.
You can still find articles about it though, ie:

http://datavisualization.ch/tools/swivel-review-–-a-guest-post-on-information-aesthetics/

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2010/04/social_visualization_software_review_swivel.html

It was essentially wikidata geared toward datasets with a very nice
graphical interface to build and share data visualization.  People could
vote for the best rendering and you could comment and share them easily.

(((random I am a naive person mumbling)))

The last fifteen years have seen information and knowledge spreading all
around the planet, big data is the next revolution.  The challenge comes
in apprehending them and your visualization tools are definitely a step
forward.

If anyone has doubt about data visualization, you should have a look at
a 20 minutes tech talk which nicely highlight how there is no more third
world countries any more (among other debunking):
 http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen

Heck, if I had the opportunity I will reach out to the community, make
data visualization part of the Wikimedia strategic plan and raise a few
millions dollars to make it a project of its own.  It has so much
leverage to better understand the world we are living in.  If such
project looked for a data visualization evangelist, I would be on the
front line.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso