On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Dan Andreescu <dandree...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> I like Visual:, any +1s? +2s?

I give it a +0.5 :) I also like "Render" but its meaning has become too
attached to 3d graphics...
Anyhow if we have a "Visual" and a "VisualData" namespace, they could be
associated to each other:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Associated_namespaces

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> It might be good to design it with Commons in mind from the start, so
> that a Visual:/View: can be loaded from a foreign repository as well
> as the local one. A qLabel style translation approach (using Wikidata)
> might be helpful to consider as well.

Commons looks for sure like a good place to store the datasets needed for
visualizations. I left a message on the their Village Pump to see if there
is any concern.
I like qLabel approach, and I would go even a step forward to suggest
linking the CSV headers to Wikidata properties. That way we could also
verify later on the data formatting, or importing it more easily into
Wikidata if needed.

Overall this is very exciting work with lots of potential future
> applications. I don't think it's resourced for success yet, but let's
> figure out where it should sit in our roadmap since it would address
> many shared needs if done right.

True! It would be nice to talk about it during Wikimania, from my side I
started a community consultation here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/How_to_deal_with_open_datasets

Micru