Thanks for reviewing that, Chris!

Chris McMahon did most of the hard work there, porting everything from
qa/browsertests into core. I was glad to help on the Vagrant side of
things, though: I have a mediawiki-vagrant commit standing by that will do
all the heavy heavy installation lifting that you mentioned. :) I'll double
check that it's backwards compatible and send it up for review shortly.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I just +2'ed a change to add a few basic selenium tests to core [1]. I
> think it will benefit us all to have a set of automated tests to
> quickly make sure mediawiki is working correctly. From a security
> perspective, this also takes a step towards more efficient security
> testing, which I'm also a fan of (if you've tried blindly scanning
> mediawiki, you know what I'm talking about..).
>
> I think the QA group is working on vagrant-izing these, but if you
> have ruby >1.9.3 and firefox, then setting up and running these tests
> on your local dev system is 4-6 commands,
>
> $ cd tests/browser
> $ gem update --system
> $ gem install bundler
> $ bundle install
>
> You can either set your environment variables yourself, or edit
> environment_variables and run `source environment_variables` to set
> them. Then it's just
>
> $ bundle exec cucumber features/
>
> to run the tests. They currently complete in 36 seconds on my laptop.
>
> I'd like to see more tests added and backported to REL1_23 to make
> sure we have an ongoing suite to check releases against for next few
> years that we support that LTS. If anyone is interested in both
> mediawiki core and browser tests, I'm sure the QA team would like to
> get you involved.
>
> Big thanks to hashar, Chris McMahon, and Dan Duvall for indulging me
> and getting this done. I'll let them jump in with all the details I've
> missed.
>

> [1] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/133507/

Dan Duvall
Automation Engineer